To wear, or not to wear? That is the question.
Wearing a wig cap is a completely personal preference. Wig caps act as protective barrier to a sensitive scalp and keep your wig comfortable and secure during everyday use. If wearing a wig cap helps you achieve this, then this is the way to go. If though, the wig cap doesn’t suit your needs and doesn’t provide you with any added benefit, then put the wig cap back in its cellophane and leave alone.
Wig caps are not expensive items (£2.00 for a pack of 2), so we would advise that you buy a pack and see if they work for you. Just remember that due to the personal nature of the product, you are unable to return wig caps for a refund. What you are looking for is the most comfortable fit for your wig, so ultimately you are the one to decide . . . Do I wear a wig cap?
For our customers with complete hairloss:
- If you wear a wig cap and have complete hair loss, the cap can provide a protective barrier and protect against that scratchy and uncomfortable feeling against your scalp that can sometimes occur when you wear a wefted wig.
- A wig cap will give you an extra layer of comfort if you have a sensitive scalp. Depending on what wig construction you opt for, the extra layer that a wig cap provides will ensure that your scalp can breathe and doesn’t become irritated by the direct contact of a wig.
- Many of our loyal wig wearers also say that wearing a wig if you have complete hair loss helps to prevent the wig itself from slipping. It gives some structure for the wig to sit against and helps you feel confident that your wig won’t move whilst you wear it. The wig cap serves the purpose of being a base layer for your wig and the foundation for a look that will stay firmly in place.
- Some wig wearers comment that a wig cap can feel warm and, combined with the weight of a wig, this heat can feel uncomfortable. As many wig caps are made from nylon liners, this fabric can sometimes react with the skin and cause the scalp to sweat more than usual.
For our customers with hair:
- For customers with partial or no hair loss, wig caps are a handy tool to keep your natural hair under wraps. Again, wig caps provide a vital extra layer of comfort and will effectively hide your existing hair and stop any misbehaving hairs from escaping out from under your wig.
- For customers with no hair loss, wig caps are great for flattening your natural hair and keeping it as close to your scalp as possible so that your wig will look completely natural with no visible lumps and bumps.
- Similar to the feedback of complete hair loss customers, there are a sprinkling of clients who state that wig caps can make their heads feel warm and a bit sweaty.
- Some customers also comment that a wig cap can sometimes feel a bit restrictive and give them a bit of headache if worn too long.
How to put a wig cap on:
If you have hair, slightly dampen it as this will make it easier to manage and control. Twist longer hair up as the twisting motion will ensure less flyway hairs.
Comb your hair through and pull into a low pony tail at the nape. Do not use bands, or bobbles but twist your hair into a ponytail shape and then use kirby grips to secure the end part of the ponytail towards your crown.
Tidy any additional loose hair strands along the sides and then work them into the ponytail. If you have lots of hair, it may be best to create several ponytails so that it will not be too bulky.
Position your wig cap:
Position the wig cap at the point where your front natural hairline would be. Pull the wig cap over your head, stretching the cap over your head until it sits comfortably and secure at your nape. Pull the sides of the wig cap down so that they are behind your ears.
You are aiming to have the majority of your hair covered by the cap, so tuck any remaining hair beneath the cap from around the front, nape and sides to keep it as neat and tidy as possible.
You can adjust and manoeuvre the cap until you feel comfortable. The cap should feel secure and snug, but not too tight. You don’t want any of your natural hair showing and when you are happy that the wig cap is comfortable and doing its job properly, you are then ready to place your wig on top and step out with a style that will stay fabulous all day.
Wearing a wig cap is a completely personal preference and our advice is go with what you feel comfortable with. If you feel comfortable, it will radiate in your face and that beautiful smile is the best accessory you could have when showing off your fabulous locks. Take a look at our very own Steph’s thoughts on wig caps as she explains how a wig cap is an absolute must-have in her wig wearing routine.